July 11, 2010

Evolution of a Blog


For the past month and a half (since this post), this blog has basically morphed into a trading log, my e-mini Dow futures trading log. To those of you who have been following my blog over the years, who now see my almost daily posts pop up at the top of your blogrolls and who are not interested in reading about my trades, I apologize. I did contemplate starting a new blog (which, smart alec that I am, I figured I'd name "Trades of a Muser") just to log my trades on and keeping this blog for the other, more general posts (I still plan on writing those from time to time) and I might still do that at some point.

For now, however, since I don't have all that many readers to begin with and since a blog is almost by definition an evolving space where one is free to write whatever one wants whenever one feels like it, I will keep posting my trades right here. Sometimes, all a trader wants to muse about is...trading.

What I thought I'd add to the dry and terse (objective and detached is what I'm aiming for) inventory of my trades and orders is, when I have some time, if not a detailed explanation of the rationale behind every buy and sell level I come up with, at least a brief overview of the criteria I used to obtain each of those levels.

I believe this will introduce another layer of discipline to my trading, an always desirable outcome and really kind of the whole point of this exercise. Hopefully, by the same token, other traders will find this information useful.

Which brings me to the following point, one I'm compelled to add because I know most people don't read disclaimers (you'll find mine on the bottom right hand side of this blog): the orders and trades I'm posting here are my orders and my trades, they are in no way advice on how to trade or encouragement to trade, for that matter. Like I've said before, I'm a beginner when it comes to trading futures and one way for me to improve my trading is to commit my orders and the thinking behind those orders to this blog and also to write down which orders were filled and how much each trade made per contract. I also think this information could be useful to other beginning futures traders, the same way I've learned a lot reading other traders' blogs, one of which (Don Miller's) is unfortunately closing shop. To belabor the point: do you own due diligence before you trade and be very careful: trading can be deadly.

2 comments:

schtoonkmeyer said...

it would be interesting to see a running total of the results of actual trades, which would be a good way to critique the trading system. it would also allow one to tweak the methodology, once you explain it. thanks.

Isam Laroui said...

Thanks for your interest schtoonkmeyer.

All the trades I've posted are actual trades (you might've noticed the slippage).

There have been very few trades so far, so computing the running P&L shouldn't be too hard. Let me know what number you come up with.

I will post the monthly P&L at the end of each month.